Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Cut by Patricia McCormick

Cut by Patricia McCormick
Age Group: Tween/YA
Pages: 176
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Publication Date: 2/1/2001

Callie cuts herself. Never too deep, never enough to die. But enough to feel the pain. Enough to feel the scream inside.

Now she's at Sea Pines, a "residential treatment facility" filled with girls struggling with problems of their own. Callie doesn't want to have anything to do with them. She doesn't want to have anything to do with anyone. She won't even speak.

But Callie can only stay silent for so long...



I have had this book sitting on my shelf for years.  It was one of those books that you always look at but never really get around to reading.  However, after letting it sit for far too long, I finally picked it up and was pleasantly surprised.

To be honest, I didn’t have high hopes for it when I picked it up.  I just thought it would be a quick and easy read, which it was, but I was surprised to find it actually dealt with the topic of self-mutilation in a poignant and relatively well-written manner.  I never felt that the book was too childish or too unrealistic.  I even found myself enjoying reading from Callie’s perspective and was rooting for her to get better.

Overall it is a good book to read when you want a quick and fast-paced read that does not need to be followed too closely, however it is not the type of book that is too read if you want to be kept at the edge of your seat.  I would suggest reading this if you are between books a series or just want a short and easy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment