Saturday, September 20, 2014

Land of the Unaltered (Confederation #1) By Leti Del Mar

Land of the Unaltered by Leti Del Mar
Age: YA
Book Format: Ebook-Kindle
Price: $2.99
Pages: 341
Publisher: Create Space
Publication Date: 6/18/2013

Rose comes from the capital of the Confederation of Cities where its citizens live in luxury and the greatest fashion statement of all is being Altered. People change everything about the way they look as often as they do their hairstyle but Rose is different. Her position of privilege has made her an outcast and led her to suspect that something sinister is happening to the citizens and flees the capital along with a past that imprisons her in search of a fresh start in the Land of the Unaltered.
Flynn lives in the Land of the Unaltered and hates the capital and everything it stands for. So when a spoiled capital girl is assigned to work with him, he wants nothing to do with her and is prepared to make her life miserable. But Flynn was not prepared for someone like Rose. She doesn't fit the mold he expected and finds himself strongly attracted to her. As she continues to surprise and outwit him, they begin to forge a bond that is tested when they discover a secret that could change everything they know about Land of the Unaltered.
I love dystopian novels.  They are some of my favorite reads. I so was very happy to have the chance to read this book, and Leti Del Mar’s novel did not disappoint.  I loved the characters, plot, the writing style and well just everything about the book.  Leti Del Mar had me hooked from the very first word. 

With indie books it is often a tossup on whether or not they are any good, this author definitely was on the good side of the spectrum.  I was very impressed by her writing.  Her writing style flowed well and was easy to understand, but the best part was there were no hideously apparent errors.  I have a hard time finishing books that have many typos and spelling errors, which often times happens with independent publishing.
 
The author did a great job with her characters. I loved rose she was strong, and smart.  It seems that most young adult novels have a young and dumb teen as the main character, so it was refreshing to have a strong and independent girl as the main character.   Not only was she strong and smart, but she also faced opposition.  Her position in society left her the outcast.  To me this made her more appealing as a character (I mean who hasn’t felt like the outcast at one point in life?).  As much as I loved rose, my favorite character was Flynn.  I loved how adorably awkward he was.  I loved reading his point of view, because he was not the cliché charismatic hot guy who sweets the girl off her feet.  Honestly how many people are really like that?  He instead was much more relatable. 
Even more then the characters themselves, I enjoyed their interactions.  Del Mar spent a lot of time building up the relationship between Rose and Flynn.  I was engrossed by their relationship from the start.  They were so different, yet I knew they would be compatible.  Del Mar made their relationship grow naturally, it never felt rushed or unnatural. 

Over all the author did a great with this book, she definitely is worth checking out.  I cannot wait to continue reading this series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment