Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1) by Rick Riordan


The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Age Group: Juvenile Fiction
Pages: 377
Publisher: Hyperion/Miramax Kid
Publication date: 4/1/2006

Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.

I before I started this book wasn’t sure what to think about it.  I was told by so many people that it was a great book, but I was still nervous to read it.  I hate when books about Greek mythology, or any mythology for that matter, don’t follow the real myths.  As I started reading I was delighted that, for the most part, the Greek mythology matched up with the stories. It was genius how he brought the traditional Greek Mythology into the modern day.   I loved the way he described his characters, they were all so unique. I could easily see the whole book playing out in my mind.  This book was funny, exciting, and action packed.   I loved this book, and I cannot wait to read the rest of this series. 


1 comment: