Friday, September 20, 2013

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Age: YA to Adult
Pages:208
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated
Publication Date: 7/1/1958

When "Lord of the Flies" appeared in 1954 it received unprecedented reviews for a first novel. Critics used such phrases as "beautifully writeen, tragic and provocative... vivid and enthralling... this beautiful and desperate book... completely convincing and often very frightening... its progress is magnificient... like a fragment of nightmare... a dizzy climax of terror... the terrible spell of this book..." E.M. Forster chose it as the Outstanding Novel of the Year. "Time and Tide" touched upon perhaps the most important facet of this book when it said, "It is not only a first-rate adventure but a parable of our times, " and articles on this and subsequent Golding novels have stressed these twin aspects of Golding: a consummate control of the novel form, and a superb all-encompassing vision of reality which communicates itself with a power reminiscent of Conrad

This is a novel I do not think I would have read unless I had to.  I honestly don’t know whether to love it or hate it.  I found it to be a little slow and dull at times.  Yet there were other times I could not put the book down.  It was not nearly as gory as I thought it was going to be.  Instead I found that it was more of a slow decent into madness.  The majority of the book is just the children living on the island.  It is not until the end of the novel that the children, who started off civilized, give into savagery.  


 I often found myself consulting an on-line dictionary to figure out some the key words and phrases Golding uses.  Golding uses quite a bit of symbolism throughout the novel.  At first I found this hard to understand, but as I read on I was able to comprehend it better.  Normally I hate symbolism, but Golding’s symbolism is beautifully written.  The whole novel is well written for that matter.   Even with it being a little slow and hard to follow I did enjoy this novel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment