Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #2) by Rick Riordan


The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Age Group: Middle Grade
Pages: 304
Publisher: Hyperion/Miramax Kid
Publication Date: 3/20/2007

The heroic son of Poseidon makes an action-packed comeback in the second must-read installment of Rick Riordan's amazing young readers series. Starring Percy Jackson, a "half blood" whose mother is human and whose father is the God of the Sea, Riordan's series combines cliffhanger adventure and Greek mythology lessons that results in true page-turners that get better with each installment. In this episode, The Sea of Monsters, Percy sets out to retrieve the Golden Fleece before his summer camp is destroyed, surpassing the first book's drama and setting the stage for more thrills to come.

I had high expectations for this book, though I’m not quite sure if they really reached them or not. I enjoyed reading the book, and the plot was well thought out, and it had a pretty good ending.  I just wasn’t as enthralled as in as I was in the first book.  It seemed to be written at a lower comprehension level then the first book.  One thing that really bugged me is how Percy would go back and explain events from the first book.  I understand author did that in case someone picked up this book without reading the first but for me, who had read the first book, it just felt redundant. That being said I absolutely loved the characters the author brought back, and the new ones he brought in.  I just loved Tyson.  I found him to be so cute and sweet, but on the flip side I understood how Percy must have felt in that situation.  Rick Riordan does a good job with character dynamic, and development.  Over all this was a pretty good read, and I am looking forward to reading the next book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment