Wednesday, September 12, 2012

One for the Murphy's by Lynda Mullaly Hunt


One for the Murphy’s by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
Age Group: Ya
Pages:224
Publisher: Penguin Group
Publication Date: 5/10/2012

A moving debut novel about a foster child learning to open her heart to a family's love
Carley uses humor and street smarts to keep her emotional walls high and thick. But the day she becomes a foster child, and moves in with the Murphys, she's blindsided. This loving, bustling family shows Carley the stable family life she never thought existed, and she feels like an alien in their cookie-cutter-perfect household. Despite her resistance, the Murphys eventually show her what it feels like to belong—until her mother wants her back and Carley has to decide where and how to live. She's not really a Murphy, but the gifts they've given her have opened up a new future.

I really fell in love with this book. I’m going to warn you now if you don’t want to read something slightly sad, then don’t read this book. This book was truly heartwarming. I even teared up a little during my Alegbra3/Trig class.  Lynda Mullaly Hunt’s debut novel was amazingly written, and does a great job of arising emotions in the reader. This book was told from Carley’s point of view.  I loved reading what she was thinking because her thoughts always made me laugh or feel for her.  I really enjoyed seeing Carley change and grow.  I had to laugh at some of the games she plays with the little boys. The ending made me really sad, but it was also a happy one.   I absolutely loved this book and would recommend it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment