Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Wrecked


Wrecked by Anna Davis
Age group: YA
Pages: 336
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Publication Date: 5/01/12


Ever since the death of her parents, Miranda has lived on Whym Island, taking comfort in the local folklore, which claims a mysterious sea witch controls the fate of all on the island and in its surrounding waters. Sometimes it’s just easier to believe things are out of your control.
But then a terrible boating accident takes the lives of several of her friends, and Miranda is rescued by a mysterious boy who haunts her dreams. Consumed by guilt from the accident, she finds refuge in late-night swims—and meets Christian, a boy who seems eerily familiar, but who is full of mystery: He won’t tell her where he is from, or why they can only meet at the beach. But Miranda falls for him anyway…and discovers that Christian’s secrets, though meant to protect her, may bring her nothing but harm.
Seductive and compelling, Wrecked brings a contemporary, paranormal twist to a classic enchanting tale.

I was pleasantly surprised with this book.  It isn’t my favorite book but it isn’t my least either.  I read this book on pulsit.com, and I was a little skeptical at first, but I ended up liking the story. It took me a while to get into the book, because it had a slow start in my opinion.  But it was an intriguing read to say the least.  It was different and could get confusing at times.  I liked the characters, I felt for Miranda.  It upset me to see how ostracized she was for something, that in my opinion, wasn’t her fault.  Her shallow grandmother annoyed me and I found myself wishing that someone would stick up for her.  The one thing I wished she would have done was gone into Christian’s life and culture more.  



No comments:

Post a Comment